The campaign has five clear and ambitious objectives that set out the value of learning and using other languages in all sectors of education and at all stages of life.
- Every language valued as an asset
This will encourage policy makers and citizens to recognise that the many languages used in the homes of UK citizens are a valuable resource for social cohesion and economic success.
- A coherent experience of languages for all children in primary school
This will introduce the learning of other languages and cultures as well as develop a better understanding of how the child’s own languages work.
- A basic working knowledge of at least two languages including English for every child leaving secondary school
This will equip every school leaver to live and work in a global society where confidence in learning and using other languages is a major advantage.
- Every graduate qualified in a second language
This will prepare future leaders in business, the professions, voluntary organisations, education and research to thrive and communicate confidently in complex global societies.
- An increase in the number of highly qualified linguists
This will fulfil the growing need for language professionals, especially English speaking interpreters and translators, and for teachers and researchers specialising in languages and cultures.